SAINT LOUIS ART MUSEUM CONSERVATION
JOB DESCRIPTION: PROJECT CONSERVATOR
SUPERVISES: No one
SPECIFICATIONS: Degree from an accredited conservation program or its equivalent and 3 years conservation experience are required as well as a broad and solid foundation in both objects conservation and collection survey methods.
JOB PURPOSE: This position will participate in a comprehensive collections survey to be undertaken by the Museum over a two year period as part of its strategic plan and will collaborate with the museum’s collections staff in conducting a high volume collections survey of the museum’s holdings. The conservator will be required to accurately and succinctly identify object condition concerns across specialties including – objects, textiles, paintings, and paper conservation.
DUTIES, WORK PERFORMED:
Assess and document physical condition, recommend future treatment, propose improvements to storage, and evaluate risk factors for the Museum’s permanent collections:
- Assess and document, both written and photographically, the condition of objects in the museum’s
- Recommend future treatment to enhance the stability and preservation of the objects
- Propose improved storage methods and housing for surveyed objects in both written and drawn formats including appropriate materials choice and construction
- Identify and document preservation risk factors for each object surveyed based on the Museum’s risk assessment
- Ensure all documentation is properly attached to and retrievable from the museum’s collection database (TMS) in collaboration with the Registration department,
- Serves as part of the Collections Survey Team and participates in regular team meetings to provide status updates and recommendations for keeping the project running efficiently and on
Visit our website at http://www.hiretrue.com/hiretrue/showJobBoardPositions.do?jobBoardPK=54 and create a profile using the hiretrue portal.
Visit our website at www.slam.org to learn more about us.