Getty Graduate Internships are offered in the four programs of the J. Paul Getty Trust—the J. Paul Getty Museum, the Getty Research Institute, the Getty Conservation Institute, and the Getty Foundation, as well as in Getty Publications—to students who intend to pursue careers in fields related to the visual arts. Training and work experience placements are available in areas such as curatorial, education, conservation, research, publications, information management, public programs, and grantmaking.
Please see the list of internship position areas and host departments participating in 2017—2018 (PDF, 8 pp., 81kb).
Internships are open to students of all nationalities. Applicants must be:
- Students currently enrolled in a graduate program leading to an advanced degree in a field relevant to the internship(s) for which they are applying, or
- Individuals who have completed a relevant graduate degree on or after January 1, 2014, with postgraduate activities in their field, paid or unpaid.
Internships are located at the Getty Center in Los Angeles or the Getty Villa in Malibu. All positions are full-time beginning September 11, 2017. Most internships are for eight months, ending May 18, 2018. Conservation internships are twelve months, ending September 7, 2018. Grant amounts are $20,000 for eight months and $30,000 for twelve months. Support for research travel is available for up to $2,500. Graduate Interns are eligible to enroll in the Getty’s health care plan. The grant includes $1,000 towards relocation expenses but housing is not provided. Please note that grant funds may be subject to federal and state taxes and deductions. Additional information about the terms of these grants is available here.
How To Apply
Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Graduate Internship application form (which includes uploading a supplemental application form; Personal Statement; Curriculum Vitae; Transcript(s); and Letters of Recommendation) by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on December 1, 2016. Materials received after the deadline will result in an incomplete application.
For the best user experience, we strongly recommend use of the Google Chrome browser. You may also use Firefox or Safari. The Internet Explorer (IE) browser is not compatible with our portal.
We cannot accept applications hand-delivered to the Getty Center or those sent by e-mail or fax.
As part of the application, you will need to prepare the following materials:
- Personal Statement:Your Personal Statement should consist of no more than 500 words (two double-spaced pages) that explains how your Getty internship choices fit with your background and career goals. Include the reasons for your choice of specific departments or programs for an internship. Also describe what you hope to achieve from the experience and what you believe you can contribute.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae: Current resumes are required for all applicants. Please limit resumes to five pages.
- Transcript(s): Transcripts are required for both undergraduate and graduate degrees completed or in progress. Please be aware that you may be requested to submit hardcopies of official transcripts/academic records at a later date in the evaluation process.If you graduated from a school outside of the United States, transcripts may be substituted with proof of completed courses and/or copies of diploma(s). If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program, provide proof of current enrollment (for example, your most recent transcript or academic record). A note concerning multiple transcripts: you may upload each one individually or as a single combined document (strongly preferred).
- Letters of Recommendation (2): Applicants must have two confidential letters of recommendation submitted directly by their recommenders. Letters must be received no later than 5:00p.m. Pacific Standard Time on December 1, 2016. Typically, the most appropriate recommenders are university faculty members who are able to address your academic performance. Other recommenders may include past or current employers of relevant work who are familiar with your skills and abilities. Recommenders will be automatically contacted via email through the application system.
Begin a New Application
Create or update your account and password, log in, and begin a new application. You may return to your work at any time by visiting the portal at the link above and logging into your account.
Please note that as part of this application you will request that two confidential letters of recommendation be forwarded by your recommenders through the system by December 1, 2016. Recommenders should attach a scanned original letter to the e-mail.
Once you request this information you will be able to monitor your account to confirm that the letters have been submitted.
Please address inquiries to:
Telephone: +1 (310) 440-7320
Due to the large volume of applications received, staff is unable to respond to application-related questions once the deadline has passed. Finalists will be contacted for phone or in-person interviews in March 2017. All applicants will be notified of the Getty Foundation’s decision in April.
For technical assistance, or if you cannot submit an online application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We are available during normal Pacific Standard Time business hours, and will attempt to respond within two business days.