E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Foundation
Conservator for Asian Art
The Newark Museum seeks a full-time conservator for a two-year minimum posting to oversee the conservation of the Museum’s Asian collections, one of the larger and finest collections of Asian art in the United States. The Conservator for Asian Art oversees the safekeeping, proper installation and conservation of all Asian works in the Newark Museum’s permanent collection (approximately 30,000 works). The conservator also assists with processing potential out-going loan requests with regard to their physical condition, potential treatment and recommendations and/or oversight of appropriate packing/crating.
The successful candidate will have at a minimum a Master’s Degree and three years’ experience as a conservator, a record of successful treatments and proven ability as a manager. Working closely with the curatorial, registration and exhibitions department, s/he will have the reputation and skills to build partnerships. The individual will be able to coordinate outside contract conservators where the work required is beyond their own area of expertise. The conservator will report to the Curator for the Arts of Asia and work closely and collaboratively with the registrar, collections manager and exhibitions department as well as with colleagues throughout the Museum and its contractors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, oversee and implement the appropriate re-housing of selected groups of objects—particularly the Museum’s collections of Asian costumes and textiles and arms and armor (approximately 4,000 objects)
- Assess and where applicable treat or oversee treatment of works identified for exhibition and loans
- Develop and assist implementation of best practices for conservation treatment, presentation and the installation of works of art
- Provide expert opinion about the condition of proposed acquisitions
- Supervise qualified conservation or museum studies interns that will assist and enhance their own work
- Work as a team member with Museum curators, registrar, collections manager, exhibition designer, mount-maker, educators, development and staff
- M.A. in conservation or equivalent degree preferred
- Three or more years experience working in the field
- Proven record of successful treatments
- Knowledge of materials and ability to advise on collections care and treatment strategies
- Knowledge of Word, Outlook (e-mail), Excel, PowerPoint and basic office software; knowledge about ARGUS database a plus.
- Strong communication, managerial and diplomatic skills
SEND CURRICULUM VITAE AND COVER LETTER TO:
49 Washington Street
Newark, NJ 07102
The Newark Museum is an equal opportunity employer.
Please be advised that only those candidates whose qualifications meet the requirements of the position will be contacted.
Closing date: January 16, 2015