Director of Conservation at West Lake Conservators
Skaneateles, NY 13152
Professional Career Opportunity: Director of Conservation
West Lake Conservators, a mixed-specialty group practice, is celebrating our 40th year in business. We are actively planning the transition of our practice for future generations. We provide comprehensive preservation services for paintings, frames, murals, paper, painted objects, and textiles.
We are currently seeking a competent, passionate, senior-level conservator with leadership qualities, who would assume the Director of Conservation position. The ideal candidate either specializes in paintings (our largest division) or paper; however, an object specialist may also be possible.
The ideal candidate must demonstrate a high level of skill in the conservation lab and a broad range of experience necessary in their specialty, combined with general preservation knowledge and ethics, necessary to guide the other specialties operating procedures. As a practiced Conservator, the selected candidate will also be called upon to apply their skills directly to the treatment of artifacts. We work on a broad range of art and artifacts, both independently and in a team approach. Assistance with education of the public, workshops, and internships is required. Independent research and contributions to our field are encouraged.
The selected candidate will become instrumental for managing the preservation activities of the WLC Laboratory and working with existing and future conservation staff to maintain the high standard of conservation care and treatment. Candidates must have a graduate level degree in conservation, or equivalent knowledge and abilities. A professional AIC standing or willingness to apply for PA or Fellow is required. Salary is commensurate with experience and productivity. Candidates with prior experience in private practice and in small business management will be given preferred consideration.
- A minimum of 15 years post graduate experience, with ongoing professional development through membership in professional organizations, attendance of conservation workshops, seminars, or professional conferences.
- Knowledge of preventive conservation practices relating to the care of historic and modern collections.
- Knowledge of modern museum practices, for the care of collections, including environmental control and monitoring, safe handling, display, storage, framing, crating, and shipping.
- Experience preparing and presenting reports, lectures, publications and seminars relating to conservation.
- Prior experience in private practice and management of the business’s laboratory practice including Safety, Environmental and Regulatory compliance.
- Experience estimating and monitoring costs for treatments on site, oversized, surveys, etc.
US citizenship or Green Card; fluent in spoken and written English
- Physical strength to lift large and heavy artworks; ability to travel
- Strong interpersonal skills
West Lake Conservators
Established in 1975 in paintings we have evolved with a staff of 8-12 operating in roughly 4000 square feet. Clients from the private and non-profit sectors, include numerous surrounding colleges and universities as well as small to mid-sized museums and historic sites. We have a national reputation for our mural treatments, research in painting lining supports and disaster recovery contributions. Our outreach and community participation initiatives include educational workshops, seminars and collection management services.
West Lake Conservators is located in Skaneateles, New York, a picturesque historic town in the Finger Lakes of central NYS with an excellent school system, beautiful lake, annual music festival, terrific YMCA and relaxed life style. Many business models are possible with this opportunity.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and benefits are offered. The position is available immediately. Please email application materials to principals, email@example.com and
firstname.lastname@example.org for further details. When applying, include your résumé with a letter of interest that outlines career goals and describes conservation specialties.
Visit our web site www.westlakeconservators.com to learn more about us.
Susan Blakney, Chief Conservator
AIC Fellow, IIC Fellow
West Lake Conservators
PO Box 45
Skaneateles, NY 13152