Corning Museum of Glass
Title: Assistant Conservator
Status: M&P, Full-Time
Reports to: Chief Conservator
Assists the Chief Conservator and Associate Conservator in all aspects of the physical care of the collection of glass and glass-related objects. Specializes in the care, cleaning and conservation of glass objects and sculptures, with a focus on modern and contemporary collections. Other primary duties include examination and conditioning of objects for acquisition and loan approval.
- Assists the Chief Conservator and Associate Conservator in all aspects of the care of glass and glass-related objects in the collection and on loan.
- Examines Museum objects requested for loan to other institutions, writes condition reports and recommends the appropriate response.
- With the Chief and Associate Conservators, ensures that the handling and storage of conservation materials and the use of equipment in the conservation laboratory are in compliance with relevant federal and state regulations.
- Maintains currency on the latest developments in the field of glass conservation and restoration, with special focus on Modern and Contemporary objects and sculptures.
- Documents treatments and contributes to conservation website information.
- Assists with the supervision and guidance of interns in the Conservation Department.
- Observes and follows all safety regulations of The Corning Museum of Glass.
- Is familiar with and observes the requirements of all Museum standards and the Code of Ethics and Statement of Practice of the American Institute for Conservation.
- Represents The Corning Museum of Glass at domestic and international conferences and professional meetings through active participation and engagement.
Master’s degree in Art History or a similar field, with a graduate diploma in conservation.
- Minimum two years’ experience as an object conservator, or equivalent training and experience.
- Experience handling contemporary glass desired.
- Ability to complete high quality treatments in a timely manner.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent research and writing skill. Knowledge of Excel, Media-Bin, and other record-keeping programs.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
Applicants can apply by emailing their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.