Job Postings: Digest 12/27/2016

1. Archaeologist I (Archaeological Conservator)
  2. Textile Conservator
  3. Paper Conservation Technician
  4. Collection Care Research Manager
  5. Church Buildings Adviser
  6. Heritage Advisor
  7. Conservation Officer
  8. Conservation Technician
  9. Project Conservator
  10. Directors

1. ARCHAEOLOGIST I (ARCHAEOLOGICAL CONSERVATOR), North Carolina Maritime Museum (Beaufort, NC, USA)

• Closing Date: December 30, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Application details and announcement: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/northcarolina/job_bulletin.cfm?JobID=1610803
The Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (DNCR) vision is to be the leader in using the state’s natural and cultural resources to build the
social, cultural, educational and economic future of North Carolina. Our mission is to improve the quality of life in our state by creating opportunities to experience excellence in the arts, history, libraries and nature in North Carolina by stimulating learning, inspiring creativity, preserving the state’s history, conserving the state’s natural heritage, encouraging recreation and cultural tourism, and promoting economic development.
Division and Position Information
The mission of the North Carolina Maritime Museum is to collect, preserve, research, document, and interpret the maritime history, culture, and environment of coastal North Carolina for diverse, public and specialized audiences to inspire appreciation, encourage discovery, and promote an active, responsible understanding for maritime heritage among present and future generations.
In 1996 an 18th-century shipwreck was discovered adjacent to Beaufort Inlet, North Carolina. Based on its location, date, and analysis of the
artifact assemblage, the wreck is identified as the pirate Blackbeard’s flagship Queen Anne’s Revenge (QAR) (1718). The location of the site is in NC state waters; the wreck belongs to the state of North Carolina. NCR is the parent organization responsible for the management, protection, preservation and development of the Queen Anne’s Revenge (QAR) Shipwreck.
This position’s working title is QAR Conservator (IMLS). The position is a two-year, time-limited, permanent position for an archaeological conservator. It is grant funded and part of an IMLS Collections Stewardship Project (MA-30-16-0501-16) for the QAR.
The purpose of the position, is to:

• Develop opportunities and undertake activities for the public to engage with conservators and to view the process of archeological conservation in
  • action
  • Assist in implementing and refining the NCMM Beaufort Long Term Care Plan for QAR artifacts, adopted by the QAR Executive Committee in 2011.
  • Contribute to developing the wet storage and wet treatment capacity for QAR artifacts, to help ensure appropriate care of the collection between recovery from the site, and completion of conservation.

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies

• Experience and education in archaeological artifact conservation are essential, preferably of material recovered from underwater environments, including preventive conservation and long term collection care post conservation.
  • Candidates must have knowledge of current best-practice standards for preventive conservation in (marine) archeological collections, and should have demonstrated experience in long-term preventive care of archeological collections in a museum environment.
  • Demonstrated knowledge of laboratory safety procedures and standards and vigilance in complying with safe and proper handling procedures of equipment and materials is essential.
  • Demonstrated knowledge of the types of equipment needed to conduct laboratory data recovery and analysis
  • Familiarity with service and repair schedules
  • Proficiency with personal computer applications is essential, particularly with word-processing, spreadsheet and database management programs
  • Good oral and written communication skills for public, as well as professional education and outreach activities, including training and supervising student and interns.
  • Current and Valid Driver’s license

Management Preferences

• Knowledge of State purchasing procedures
  • Experience with Microsoft products
  • Ability to work as part of a team, cooperatively with others in the QAR
  • Project, OSA and NCMM

Physical Requirements

• Ability to lift heavy objects using various mechanical devices and use of
  • industrial shop equipment is required.

Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Master’s degree in archaeology, anthropology, or a closely related field from an appropriately accredited institution
-OR-
Bachelor’s degree in archaeology, anthropology, or a related field from an appropriately accredited institution and two years of progressive experience in archaeology, or archaeological preservation
-OR-
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Supplemental and Contact Information
The Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (DNCR) selects applicants for employment based on required education and experience and job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, political affiliation or political influence.
Please be sure to complete the application in full. Resumes may be uploaded with your application, but will not be accepted in lieu of a fully completed application and will not be considered for qualifying credit. “See Resume” or “See Attachment” will NOT be accepted.
Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions. Transcripts, and degree evaluations may be uploaded with your application.
To obtain veterans preference, you must scan and upload a copy of your DD-214 or discharge orders.
Technical issues submitting your application, please call the NeoGov Help Line at +1 (855) 524-5627.
Applicants requesting and receiving an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are eligible to submit paper applications via mail or by fax.  Please call the human resources office for assistance.
If multiple applications are submitted to an individual posting, only the most recent application received prior to the closing date will be accepted. Applications must be submitted by 5:00 PM on the closing date.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account.  Upon the closing date, applications are “Under Review” and will be screened by Human Resources for the qualified applicants. The hiring process may take an average of 6 – 8 weeks.
It is the policy of the State of North Carolina and the N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources that all employees provide proof of employment eligibility (immigration and naturalization) on the first day of employment. We participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System).
Prospective applicants seeking additional information should contact:
Kim Campbell, HR Manager
DNCR Arts, Administration and Library Divisions
Human Resources
North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
Tel: +1 (919) 807-7431
Fax: +1 (919) 715-8724
kim.campbell@ncdcr.gov
109 East Jones Street
4603 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4603

2. TEXTILE CONSERVATOR, National Museum of African American History and Culture (MD, USA)

• Closing date: December 30, 2016
  • Full-Time, Two- year Term with possible extension up to four years
  • Salary range: $64,650.00 to $84,044.00 / Per Year
  • Job Announcement No. 17R-YH-302402-DEU-NMAAHC and Announcement No. 17R-YH-302402-MPA-NMAAHC
  • Series and Grade: GS-1001-11
  • Promotion potential: 11
  • Job open to all US citizens
  • You must apply through USAjobs to be considered.

We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible to ensure their applications are submitted before the announcement closes. We will not consider applications which are late due to the announcement closing once the maximum number of applications is reached.
This position is in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) offsite facility. The National Museum of African American History and Culture is the largest national museum for the study and exhibition of African American history and culture. Its primary purposes are to acquire, maintain and preserve objects which document social, cultural, political, military, technological and scientific developments in the United States related to the African American experience; to conduct scholarly research designed to make significant contributions to the body of knowledge in the field of African American history, to publish findings for both scholarly and general audiences; and to interpret historical developments through public exhibits and programs as well as digital content.
Works under the supervision of the Supervisory Conservator to:

• design, propose, document, and complete proposed conservation treatments on a wide variety of textile materials within the collection;
  • provide care, preservation and research on all textiles within the Museum’s collections;
  • research textiles within the collection, artist’s materials and generate scientific data on the properties of the materials;
  • provide preventative care measures such as monitoring and evaluating environmental controls, integrated pest management, and emergency preparedness, response and recovery of collections, product testing and quality control; and
  • provide training of staff, allied professionals, interns, fellows, volunteers and the general public.

Agency contact
Yvonne Humphries, Human Resources
Tel: +1 (202) 633-7448
Fax: +1 (571) 258-4052
TDD: 202-633-6409
humphriesy@si.edu
Antje Neumann
National Museum of African American History and Culture
For more details visit: www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/459869000 and www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/459866600

3. PAPER CONSERVATION TECHNICIAN, Royal Museums Greenwich (Greenwich, UK)

• Closing date: 2 January 2017 at 23:59 p.m.
  • Reference NOV20161639
  • Salary: £18,000.00 – £22,000.00 Per Annum

With experience of working with paper based collections, you’ve already gained experience of mounting and framing paper items. Join Royal Museums Greenwich to expand your experience, skills and knowledge as well as having the opportunity to work with a world class collection.
RMG has a significant paper based collection including archive material, rare books, globes, charts, prints and drawings and an exciting temporary exhibition, loans and permanent gallery update program which showcase some of this collection. You will carry out the mounting, framing and re-housing of paper-based collection items for display and storage as well as assisting in the preservation care of this epic collection.
Working independently or collaborating with a team of experienced conservators, you will be designing and making bespoke mounts for our varied collection and will carry out routine conservation treatments. You will have the opportunity to courier objects for loan purposes.
Experience of working with paper based collections is essential; you should be enthusiastic, with a great eye for detail and a pragmatic approach to problem solving. A flexible approach is also important, as is the ability to organize and prioritize your workload. If you are passionate about a career as a Paper Conservation Technician visit www.rmg.co.uk for a full job description and details of how to apply.
Interview date: 12 January 2017
All questions can be directed to: Amy Richmond, HR Officer, Tel: +44 (0) 208 312 6784

4. COLLECTION CARE RESEARCH MANAGER, Tate (London, UK)

• Closing date: January 9, 2017 at midnight
  • Reference: TG1560
  • Salary: £30,510 per annum

Tate’s vision is to act as a champion for art in society. We do this through activities in our four galleries across the UK (Tate Liverpool, Tate St Ives, Tate Britain and Tate Modern), our digital platforms and collaborations with our national and international partners. Part of the Partnerships and Programs division, Tate Research was established in 2006 following recognition of the museum as an Independent Research Organization by the Arts and Humanities Research Council.?
Working closely with the Head of Collection Care Research, you will manage and support the research that ensures our collections are available and accessible now and in the future. Take this two-and-a-half-year contact, funded by a range of national and European research grant awards, and you will use your project management skills to ensure the successful delivery of leading edge collection care and conservation research, support and contribute to the development of the department and oversee Collection Care research publications.
You’ll come to us with a proven track record of project management and a commitment to accurate and detailed reporting. Committed to high quality research and its communication, you will support staff in developing their research skills and make a positive contribution to building the profile of research at Tate.
This position is offered on a fixed-term contract for 2.5 years.
For more details and to apply online, visit: https://workingat.tate.org.uk/pages/job_search_view.aspx?preview=preview&jobId=3095

5. CHURCH BUILDINGS ADVISER, London Diocesan Fund (London, UK)

• Deadline for applications: January 12, 2017 at midday
  • Salary: £27,500 – £32,000 (dependent on experience)
  • Full Time Permanent

The Church of England in London is growing, vibrant and at the heart of communities throughout the capital.  At the London Diocesan Fund we seek to do everything we can to support this mission and growth, using our resources to help our parishes and chaplains to serve over 4 million people.
We are now looking to recruit a Church Buildings Adviser who would give specialist advice on matters pertaining to historic (statutorily designated) church buildings and sources of grant funding for repairs to those buildings. The Church Buildings Adviser also takes forward proposals and initiatives aimed at raising the profile of churches and opening up their buildings to the wider community as part of Capital Vision 2020.
The successful applicant will have a knowledge of historic buildings legislation (listed buildings, conservation areas, PPS5, the planning process and the Faculty process).  Practical experience of working with historic buildings, including methods of investigation and specialist conversation work/maintenance are essential. We are looking for a self-starter, with problem solving ability, who can handle a large volume of varied casework effectively. Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), and planning and organizing skills are essential. A relevant degree-level qualification is required.
We are looking for someone who embodies our core values to respect each other and thrive together.  We seek applicants who are inspired to help us achieve our Capital Vision 2020 which incorporates confidence, compassion and creativity.
For further information please apply online using the application form, demonstrating how your skills and experience meet the job description and person specification.
E-mail to recruitment@london.anglican.org.
First interview:  Thursday 19th January 2017
No agencies please.

6. HERITAGE ADVISOR, High Speed 1 (London, UK)

• Closing date for applications 13 January 2017.

High Speed 1 is the railway between St. Pancras International in London and the Channel Tunnel and connects with the international high speed routes between London and Paris, and London and Brussels. HS1 is a world leading high speed railway.
The Grade 1 listed St Pancras International Station is one of the biggest landmarks in London and serves as a gateway to Europe. The station reopened in 2007 after completion of an £800m redevelopment program and was renamed from St. Pancras to St. Pancras International. The redevelopment plan restored the station to its Victorian-era glory resulting in a building of exceptional quality, and added high-end retail and hospitality areas to develop St. Pancas as a destination experience.
HS1 is an innovative and growing business supported by strongly aligned shareholders. Our teams make a real difference to travel in the UK for our continually growing customer base by providing excellent customer focus and services.
Headline Duties and Responsibilities

• Working closely with the HS1 Commercial team in the review and acceptance of retail tenant fit out and temporary installation design proposals to ensure compliance with HS1 consents and appropriate to a Grade I listed building.
  • Facilitating and supporting a close collaborative relationship between HS1 and NRHS, the station operator.
  • Preparing listed building and Heritage Deed consent applications and liaison with Historic England and LB Camden. Management of the administration of those meetings and processes.
  • Undertaking external liaison with local authority stakeholders (notably conservation officers), Historic England, academic institutions and other organizations and forums on historic environment matters.
  • Reviewing and responding to proposals for change within the station and management of the administration of these.
  • Helping ensure consistency of approach between designers/ contractors through the implementation of appropriate standards.
  • Reviewing designer/contractor deliverables to ensure adherence to the Heritage Deed Consent.
  • Managing the collation, curation and storage of the historic records relating to St. Pancras including undertaking archival research to identify additional material
  • Assisting with the preparation and presentation of historic material for public and internal use – on the web site, for marketing purposes, training materials etc.

Desired Skills and Experience

• A relevant first degree or post-graduate or equivalent qualification in a subject such as building conservation, architecture or surveying.
  • Demonstrable years post qualification experience in a relevant environment
  • Appropriate level of membership of the IHBC, RICS or RIBA
  • Good research skills
  • An understanding of UK heritage legislation and policy
  • Knowledge of UK architectural history across a range of building types but with specific interest in 19th century architecture and history
  • Design skills
  • Experience of undertaking historic buildings assessment work
  • Experience of working in a retail related environment – desirable but not essential

Benefits on offer are:

• Salary £40 – 45,000 per annum DOE for a 37-hour week
  • 26 days’ annual leave per annum
  • Life Assurance at 5 times salary
  • Generous Group Personal Pension with Scottish Widows
  • Group Income Protection
  • Private Medical Insurance (self and family)
  • Discretionary Bonus

Applications consisting of your CV and a brief covering note should be sent to recruitment@highspeed1.co.uk.
For more details, visit: highspeed1.co.uk.

7. CONSERVATION OFFICER, London Borough of Hounslow (London, UK)

• Application closing date: January 16, 2017
  • Job reference R0002026
  • Salary: £32,307 – £34,935 (PO2)
  • Package: Full-Time, 1 Year Fixed-Term contract- possible extension – 36 hours per week

The London Borough of Hounslow is a forward thinking local authority uniquely placed between the M4 Corridor and City, leading to it being London’s gateway from Heathrow. Its vast axis from Chiswick in the east to Feltham and the borders of Heathrow in the west means that few other London Boroughs contain such a varied slice of the capital.  The Borough has significant potential for growth, with exciting development and regeneration opportunities identified in the Local Plan.  The rich and varied heritage of the Borough includes many very important designated heritage asset including 27 conservation areas and some 885 statutorily listed properties. It also contains some of west London’s remaining Great Estates at Chiswick, Gunnersbury, Boston Manor, Osterley and Syon, a unique and distinct aspect which contributes significantly to the environmental and cultural wealth of the Borough. This post provides a fantastic opportunity to protect and promote these heritage assets in balance with supporting a drive for growth, development and regeneration in the Borough.
The post holder will have an important and high profile role to play for the Council, delivering a range of key work streams working closely with expert advisors such as Historic England including; programs for reviewing and updating the Council’s local list of buildings and other assets of townscape character, and Conservation Area appraisals; producing a Heritage Strategy for the Borough to identity measures and projects to further protect and enhance its heritage assets; undertake bids for funding to deliver heritage and conservation projects; advise key stakeholders and other Council services on heritage matters such as advising on planning applications in Conservation Areas and applications for works to listed buildings.
Please CLICK HERE to view Job Description and Employee Specification.
If you have any queries about this post or would like some further information please contact Alan Hesketh, Interim Head of Regeneration, Spatial Planning, Business Services and Investment and Environmental Strategy at alan.hesketh@hounslow.gov.uk.

8. CONSERVATION TECHNICIAN, Bynon Art Services (Nashville, TN, USA)

• Hourly rate – $20
  • Hours 30-40 per week
  • Start date: January 2017
  • Six months, renewable up to 20 months

Bynon Art Services is assisting the Tennessee State Museum move to a new venue by leading the conservation program. The whole project is expected to last an estimated 22 months and will include several different phases including artifact assessment, conservation treatments and installation. The Tennessee State Museum is scheduled to move into its new venue in Sept 2018.
Please view link for information on the new museum: www.tnmuseum2018.org/
The collection currently consists of art, history and culture at one of the largest museums in the nation. Interpretive exhibits begin 15,000 years ago with prehistoric people and continue through the early 1900s, with special displays of furniture, silver, weapons, quilts, and paintings. The museum’s Civil War holdings of uniforms, battle flags and weapons are among the finest in the nation. Therefore, we are wanting applicants with a broad interest in cultural studies along with an interest in a diversity of different materials.
Position Summary

• A conservation technician is required to support the conservation team that will consist of two conservators and four technicians.
  • Assisting in the gathering of artifacts from storage and out on exhibit with the assistance of museum staff.
  • Inputting location and treatment data into a museum database.
  • Under conservator supervision the technician/Intern will complete hands-on conservation treatments.
  • Perform preparatory work to artifacts that need to be moved to the conservation lab for conservation treatments.
  • Assisting external conservators if needed to assess artifacts that require treatment.
  • Provide assistance to mount makers when needed.
  • Carry out condition surveys.

Qualifications

• Bachelor’s degree in Fine Art, Art History or other field related to art conservation.
  • Ability to handle collection artifacts with care.
  • Experience in conservation and/or technical roles to support the conservation team.
  • The applicant must have a commitment to teamwork and an ability to work successfully with other departments within the museum along with a willingness to take direction and execute accordingly.
  • An excellent manual dexterity and the capacity to perform delicate, demanding tasks with a high level of productivity is essential.

To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and contact information for two job-related references to Mark Bynon at mark@bynonartservices.com.
Co-Principal
Bynon Art Services, LLC
www.bynonartservices.com
+1 (828) 635-3066

9. PROJECT CONSERVATOR, University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology (Philadelphia, PA, USA)
Penn Museum (The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology) is seeking a Project Conservator with experience and the ability to work relatively independently.
The Project Conservator will be responsible for carrying out conservation treatment of an Egyptian painted limestone Old Kingdom mortuary chapel in preparation for its reinstallation in spaces being renovated. The primary duties include researching appropriate treatment techniques and materials, providing a treatment proposal; carrying out necessary treatment; supervising interns assisting with the treatment; keeping written, photographic, and electronic records of work; and keeping current with developments in the field through readings, conferences, online discussions, and personal contacts. The work is to be carried out in an enclosed space within an open gallery, so the Project Conservator will be on public view during Museum open hours and may be required to interact with the public at specific times. The Project Conservator will also share in the regular duties of the Department. This is a one-year term position.
The candidate must be a graduate of a recognized Masters-level conservation training program with at least three years of professional experience after graduation, preferably in a similar institution. Sound work habits, personal initiative, and organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with the ability to undertake moderate to heavy lifting are essential. Experience with working on elevated work platforms desirable. Candidate will uphold collegial and collaborative working relationships with conservation staff and other departments. This is a one-year term position.
If interested, please apply through the University of Pennsylvania System: https://jobs.hr.upenn.edu/postings/24375
Lynn A Grant
Head Conservator
The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
3260 South St
Philadelphia PA 19104
+1 (215) 898-2787

10. DIRECTORS, RPS CgMs Historic Buildings (London & South East, UK)
CgMs is the largest heritage consultancy in the country. Since August 2014 it has been part of the RPS Group, the country’s largest environmental consultancy. Working nationally, the company offers a unique and unparalleled range of development and planning services based upon many years of experience in both the private and public sectors.
Due to an expanding client base and diversity in services offered, RPS CgMs is seeking highly motivated and thoroughly experienced historic buildings professionals to build on the successes and provide leadership in the further development of the London and Southeast England historic buildings teams.
The Historic Buildings team offers a comprehensive heritage planning service. Working with major developers and architects, we have built a strong reputation for our commercially astute advice, which adds value to the development process and helps realize our clients’ objectives. Our clients include the Historic Royal Palaces, the V&A Museum, major retailers and commercial developers, and national house builders.
Our success is based on our ability to negotiate with our professional colleagues in local government and Historic England, establishing a shared understanding of how change can be managed successfully.
We are currently looking to appoint Directors into the London Team; this post holder will be expected to provide an experienced level of advice on all heritage related matters. Applicants will need to have experience of advocating heritage matters at Hearings and Public Inquiries. The post holder will need to work alongside existing colleagues within that office and provide a degree of management, quality control and supervisory support to colleagues on built heritage issues. The post holder will be expected to generate a significant proportion of their work themselves, and help promote and develop the Historic Building Team in London and the SE Regions.
This post provides the ideal opportunity for an experienced individual who wishes to be involved in significant & high profile development schemes, and have commercial aspirations to develop the Historic Building Team.
In exchange for being exceptional historic building professionals, commercially astute, expert negotiators and dedicated team builders, you will be appropriately rewarded with an extensive remuneration package, including a very competitive salary, generous contributory pension, health cover and additional flexible benefits. You will also benefit by working in a supportive and friendly team which provides superb training and development support to allow you to achieve your career aspirations.
For an informal discussion of these opportunities please contact Jonathan Smith, Director of Historic Buildings, on +44 01242 259290 or Duncan Hawkins, Operational Director of Historic Buildings and Archaeology, on +44 020 7280 3424.
To apply for these roles please contact our Recruitment Manager, Geoff Thorpe, at geoff.thorpe@rpsgroup.com.
For more details, visit: www.cgms.co.uk/blogpage/2015_301.html
No agencies.
We are an equal opportunities employer.