The storm system from Harvey has finally moved out of southeast Texas and Louisiana, leaving behind catastrophic flooding. Recovery will take some time in the region, as many individuals are displaced from their homes.
We are just starting to receive some initial reports of affected cultural institutions. A conference call held today, 9/1, shared information between federal and state partners, developing a strategy for future outreach to the 500+ institutions in the region.
Several media outlets have covered the cultural community’s efforts to prepare for and assess damage from Harvey:
- This Is How Museums In And Around Houston Prepared For Tropical Storm Harvey (Huffington Post)
- Texas Museums Brace for Full Impact of Hurricane Harvey (The Art Newspaper)
- As Harvey Hits Texas, Art Museums Shutter (ArtNews)
- Texas Libraries Hit Hard by Hurricane Harvey (Library Journal)
- Shades of Allison: Houston Theatre District Damaged by Flood Waters (Houston Chronicle)
We will continue to share information about potential deployments of our National Heritage Responders and other ongoing AIC/FAIC response efforts.
Please encourage local institutions to contact the NHR hotline at 202.661.8068.