*** THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED***
- One-year Assistant Textile Conservator position at Shelburne Museum, Shelburne, VT
- Full Time, 12 month Temporary Assignment, Benefits Eligible
- This position is grant funded by Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform a condition survey of 184 commemorative handkerchiefs using an established survey form,
- Perform an examination and propose actions to stabilize a needlework show cover on an armchair,
- Examine and undertake conservation treatment of 53 samplers
- Conduct practical research to inform conservation treatment related to stain removal and reduction on hooked rugs using a non-collection rug with dye bleed as a test subject
- Produce a white paper on the practical research and contribute occasional posts and updates for Shelburne Museum’s member newsletter and social media platforms related to their work.
- Examine and undertake conservation treatment 14 hooked rugs from the collection.
For all treatments, the textile conservator will take documentary photographs, amend existing condition information and treatment proposals and write treatment reports.
The conservator will become familiar with established lab procedures for health and safety and maintain conservation documentation and treatment files and the museum’s collections management database, Mimsy xg.
- Master’s Degree in Conservation or equivalent training
- Textile conservation treatment experience, a minimum of one year beyond conservation training
- US citizen or holding a current US work visa
- Conservation specialty in textiles
- Good communication skills; works well as a member of a team and independently
- Flexible and adaptable with a positive attitude
- Comfortable using Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Bridge. Prior experience with collections management databases, especially Mimsy xg, helpful.
- Member of AIC, IIC or other appropriate conservation professional organization.
Compensation and Benefits:
$19.23/hr., Spectacular working environment; Paid Time Off; committed, friendly co-workers; discount at the Museum Store and Café; passes to the museum to share with friends and family; and reciprocal benefits at regional museums and attractions. Funding to attend AIC annual meeting.
Visit our website, https://shelburnemuseum.org/employment/#assistant-textile-conservator and download an application. Forward completed application along with cover letter, resume and three letters of recommendation to email@example.com or Human Resources, Shelburne Museum, P.O. Box 10, Shelburne, VT 05482, USA.
Anticipated start date is April, 2018.