This job announcement was previously advertised on September 11, 2017. To see that ad, click here.
Carolina Conservation is seeking a dedicated and career-oriented Assistant Paintings Conservator for its private practice. Ideal candidates are enthusiastic team players with strong critical thinking and applied problem solving skills. Time management and the ability to meet deadlines while working under pressure will be necessary. Carolina Conservation provides on-site disaster response for fine art collections that have suffered severe damage as the result of a fire, flood, or catastrophic disaster. Applicants please send a cover letter, resume, professional references, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
General responsibilities of the Assistant Paintings Conservator will include the following:
- Assessment and evaluation of incoming collections
- Preparation of condition reports, treatment proposals, treatment records, and additional documentation as necessary
- Execution of treatments under the direction and supervision of the Lead Conservator
- Perform conservation treatments to easel paintings & other works as directed by Lead Conservator, including, but not limited to: surface cleanings, varnish removals, varnish applications, consolidation, tear repairs, reversible fills, retouching, linings, and related tasks
- Triage and on-site collection recovery
- Client consultations and collection reviews
- Additional responsibilities as directed and supervised by the Lead Conservator
Applicants are expected to meet the following education and work experience criteria:
- BA or BS in related field (Art History, Fine Art, Chemistry, etc.)
- Postgraduate degree in Conservation of Fine Art, specializing in the conservation of paintings, or equivalent training and work experience
- Private practice experience is a plus, but will consider entry-level conservation professionals
- Ability to work independently and contribute as an effective member of a team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Digital photography proficiency
- Computer proficiency
Essential Skills & Personality Traits: We have identified a number of skills and abilities that are critical to success in this position. The following are non-negotiable qualities we are looking for in a candidate:
- An energetic, positive & optimistic attitude
- Strong personal and professional ethics and conduct
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to build rapport & develop strong interpersonal relationships
- Professionalism, assertiveness & confidence
- Meticulous, precise, & detail oriented
- A team player that enjoys working with others
- An enthusiastic commitment to excellence
- Pro-active, responsible, motivated self-manager
- Enjoys working with their hands
- Processes new information quickly with a passion for learning
- A passion for using their knowledge & skills to help others
- Comprehensive Health, Dental, and Vision insurance. Carolina Conservation pays 60% of all employees insurance premiums
- Two weeks paid vacation + holidays
- Volunteer and Angel Project opportunities
- Continuing Education opportunities
About Carolina Conservation
Family owned and operated, Carolina Conservation has specialized in fine art conservation for fire and water damaged collections since 2005. We service major national accounts and companies within the property insurance industry. Due to the high level of service quality we provide to our clients, we have built strong industry relationships that have fueled the rapid growth of our studio operations. Over the past twelve years, we have grown to become the largest conservation studio in the nation exclusively specializing in fire and water damaged fine art and specialty collections. Salary will be competitive and commensurate with education and work history. Carolina Conservation employees are given the potential for strong career growth within our organization. We believe in providing our staff access to ongoing education, training, fieldwork experience, and volunteer conservation opportunities.
2 thoughts on “Assistant Paintings Conservator (Columbia, SC, USA)”
I am a 47 year old fina artist moving from Denver to Columbia next month and am looking for long term employment in a field i feel most passionate about. I came across your posting for assistant conservator. Ill admit, i only have an associates degree in Fine Art, with side classes in management and interior design but I do have a good employment history which has provided me with on the job training for many things, for example, I am/ was a lead finisher for a replacement window and door company, fine detailed finished work is my position. I have been with them for 6 years and before that i fulfilled a 4 year contract through the US military as the Graphic design supervisor. I do not have a website at the moment, but i do have photos of my work on facebook, listed above.
I would very much like to be considered for this position, please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you, Carmina
I would suggest you write to the email address listed in the job announcement for more information!
Best luck with your search.
Comments are closed.