Subject: Solicitation for a Personal Services Contract Opportunity – CONSERVATOR, Qurna/Luxor Area
The American Research Center in Egypt (ARCE) is seeking applications from qualified individuals to provide professional services under contract as further described in this solicitation.
Applications from interested candidates must be submitted by the closing date indicated above and must be submitted ONLY in email format to the specific email address, email@example.com. Paper copies of resumes or CVs will NOT be accepted. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
This solicitation in no way obligates ARCE to consider or select an applicant, nor does this commit ARCE to pay any costs incurred by individuals for the preparation or submission of applications.
Questions regarding this solicitation must be directed by email to the Point of Contact specified in this solicitation. Please do not call the ARCE offices about the status of a candidacy or selection.
- Solicitation Number: ARCE/19-003
- Open to: Qualified candidates who are legally able to live and work in Egypt
- Issue date: April 10, 2018
- Closing date: June 30, 2018
- Contractor role: Conservation Manager
- Proposed pay band: Commensurate with experience
- Place of performance: Qurna/Dra Abu el Naga, Luxor Area
- Length of engagement: This is a time-limited contractor opportunity of approximately 24 to 30 months
- Security level: Employment authorization from the Ministry of Labor and a facilities access authorization from the Ministry of Antiquities will be required prior to starting the contract. Additional authorizations from Egyptian Authorities may be required.
Contract Scope of Work (SOW)
Design and implement conservation strategies for the New Kingdom tombs project area, including existing conditions studies, conservation treatment and management of records and documentation in all phases of conservation intervention. Utilize wall painting conservation methods and techniques including technical assessments in the preservation of ancient tomb walls and ceilings. Document, photograph, map and catalog conservation work in progress. Maintain inventory and storage of conservation materials and equipment used in various projects. Assist in the training and technical education of students in a Conservation Field School through classroom instruction and field training at tomb sites in Dra Abu el Naga and the Luxor area. Assist other project members in the preparation of conservation and archeology materials used in ARCE presentations, publications and social media. Writes periodic reports on project activities including technical materials that are part of ARCE publications.
The Contractor reports to the Project Manager.
The Contractor does not directly supervise any other contractors but provides technical guidance and indirect supervision to students in the Conservation Field School or others engaged in a conservation or preservation project.
The work involves periods of standing and walking to antiquities facilities and archeological sites.
Eligibility for consideration
Candidates must be legally eligible to live and work in Egypt. Documentation of eligibility will be required as part of the application.
Minimum qualifications REQUIRED for this contract
- Education: Candidates must have a Master’s Degree, M.A. or M.S. in any of the following fields; Egyptology, Archeology, Museum Studies, Ancient Art History, Art Conservation or other closely related academic field.
- Prior work experience: 3 to 5 years of prior professional work experience in the field of Art Conservation is required.
- Language proficiency: Fluency in Arabic is required due to extensive daily contact with members of the Project team and other local contacts. A good working knowledge of both written and spoken English is required in order to communicate with ARCE staff, Project Leaders, international archeologists and conservationists, US Scholars and other contacts.
- Skills and abilities: Candidates should have experience which demonstrates a knowledge of the materials and techniques used in ancient art restoration and conservation and the conservation issues that require the appropriate methods for treatment. Skill and prior use of FileMaker, FileMakerPro or similar database management software is required.
Evaluation of applicants and selection criteria
Applications will be screened initially for determination of eligibility and minimum qualifications. Candidates who do not meet the basic eligibility for consideration described in Item F (above) will not receive further consideration. Next, candidates who meet or exceed the minimum Qualification Requirements listed in Item G1through G4 will receive consideration and will be rank-ordered in accordance with the listed qualifications. Applicants are encouraged to address each of the listed requirements in their application. Omission of a description of an individual’s qualification on the application may result in a low ranking. Only Top-Ranked candidates will be contacted for an interview. ARCE will screen candidates for nepotism and conflict of interest concerns.
How to apply
To ensure consideration for the solicitation, applicants must reference the Solicitation Number and Contractor Role in the subject line of an email in the following manner: ARCE19-003 – Conservation Manager, to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org . The email should include as attachments, a completed resume or curriculum vitae that includes their National ID Number issued by the Egyptian authorities (if a legal resident of Egypt). Candidates should include starting and ending employment dates in the description of prior work experience, the complete name and contact information of the current and prior employers. The application package should also include photocopies of educational certifications (e.g. University transcripts, diplomas, certificates, etc.). Employment Reference letters are optional.
Questions regarding this solicitation
Questions may be emailed to email@example.com, referencing the Solicitation Number in the Subject Line. Questions regarding the status of a candidacy cannot be answered.
The American Research Center in Egypt is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports a multi-cultural work environment that includes diversity of gender, nationality, race, culture, religion, ethnicity and educational background. Candidates from minority or indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The American Research Center in Egypt is committed to prevent workplace harassment, workplace violence and discriminatory employment practices.