Full time, Exempt, Benefits Eligible Position
ICA seeks a mid to senior level objects conservator to head its objects conservation laboratory, located in Cleveland’s revitalized, lakeside, near-west neighborhood of Ohio City. The conservator will examine and treat of a wide variety of objects both at the ICA facility and off site. S/he will participate in the implementation and oversight of conservation projects which involve staff colleagues and subcontractors and will manage departmental affairs, an assistant objects conservator, and several technicians. The conservator will interact professionally with board members, all ICA staff, clients, and the public and will agree to abide by current AIC standards. The Head of Objects Conservation will report directly to the Executive Director of ICA.
Carry out examinations and conservation treatments on works from the collections of public institutions, corporations, government agencies, and private collectors
- Conduct research to gain an understanding of objects to inform recommended treatment and care
- Prepare time and cost quotes for conservation projects
- Perform consulting, examination, and treatment on and off site
- Participate in and/or act as lead in interdepartmental projects
- Supervise staff (assistant conservator, technicians, preparators, interns, volunteers)
- Manage and oversee subcontractors for commercial and industrial processes
- Assemble bids for Request for Proposals (RFPs) and materials for grant applications
- Coordinate with the Registrar to communicate with clients
- Stay current with theoretical discourse and best practice through literature review and attendance at presentations and conferences
Education and outreach duties and responsibilities:
- Interact professionally with a range of individuals concerning conservation and preservation in person, over the phone, and in writing
- Collaborate in the creation of education materials and programs
- Participate in ICA’s educational programs, teaching learners of all ages and levels.
- Represent ICA in meetings with potential clients, donors, collection stewards, and others
Qualifications duties and responsibilities:
- A Masters’ degree from a conservation training program or equivalent experience
- Significant experience working in the field either in an institutional or private practice setting.
- Experience leading a conservation lab and supervising others
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required, Adobe Photoshop preferred
- Travel to onsite projects in surrounding region is required
The salary will be commensurate with experience; there is an excellent benefits package. The position will remain open until filled. Interviews will begin in early June 2018.
Please send a cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org or ICA-Art Conservation, 2915 Detroit Road, Cleveland, OH 44113. To discuss the position, contact Julie A. Reilly at 216-658-8700, at the email address above, or at the 46th Annual AIC Meeting in Houston May 30th to June 3rd.