ECPN March Meeting Minutes


Monday, March 19, 2012

Conference Call Attendees:

Molly Gleeson (Chair)

Eliza Spaulding (Vice Chair)

Amy Brost (Communications Coordinator)

Anisha Gupta (co-Outreach Coordinator)

Carrie Roberts (co-Professional Education and Training)

Megan Salazar-Walsh (co-Outreach Coordinator)

Sarah Barack (Co-Chair, K-12 Outreach Group and ETC)

Rebecca Rushfield (ETC)

Emily Williams (Chair, Education and Training)

Stephanie Lussier (Board Liaison)

Amber Harwood (CAC-ECC Liaison)

Genevieve Bieniosek (Student Liaison, ETC)

Eryl Wentworth (Executive Director, AIC)

Morgan Gilpatrick (Communications Director, AIC)

LeeAnn Barnes Gordon (OSG liaison)

Avigail Charnov (ASG)

Ryan Winfield (AIC Staff Liaison)



  1. Roll call — Molly took roll.
  2. Minutes Approval (Molly) — February meeting minutes were approved.
  3. CoOL Discussion (Eryl) – Steady work on CoOL since taking over in 2009.  Worked with stakeholders to reimagine what CoOL could become.  Discussions with web developers resulted in three solid proposals.  One was selected, Happy Cog, that are leaders in web design and development, also in education.  Used to working with large-content sites.  Now looking at how to fund CoOL over the long term – from planning and implementation to sustainability over time.  Do not want to repeat the Stanford situation.  Initial planning grant will come with assurances that there are funds to carry through implementation to sustainability.  Mellon Foundation, and NEH Challenge Grant, a 3:1 match, and go out to additional funders.  This is part of a series of phone calls to talk to stakeholders, like ECPN members (students, emerging conservators), about their use of CoOL.  What is useful to us about it?  How could it be used in the future – how could it be enhanced?  Think in terms of CoOL and the DistList.

A. Q & A – Do we use it?

  • Molly uses the DistList regularly, but not CoOL, because she already knows the resources she’s looking for.  Has bookmarks for key sites already.
  • Sarah uses it a lot, both resources, in her private practice.
  • Amber, a recent graduate from Queens program in Canada, often used CoOL as a resource and she looks at the DistList quite regularly.
  • Eliza has a similar experience to Molly.  She uses CoOL to help fill in the gaps after a visit perhaps to AATA first.
  • Morgan asked if we look for specific information on materials or treatment problems.  Carrie, an objects conservator, often goes to the objects distribution list.  She often turns to Google but then ultimately lands on a CoOL page.  So, indirectly, some research routes lead to CoOL.
  • Eryl mentioned that CoOL internationally might be used more than in the U.S., where conservation literature might be more difficult to access.  There is a large international audience for this site

B. What would make CoOL more useful, and make you use it more often?

  • Concern that the site is outdated and hard to navigate.  It could be more useful if less complicated.
  • Carrie mentioned that enhancing searchability would be helpful (like AATA).  Google makes it easier to search, and often, CoOL pages come up in results.
  • Eryl mentioned that one key goal is making the site more navigable, and searchable.  Keep it viable and up-to-date by having an international core group of editors or  “curators” who commit for a term of time to manage a specific area.  They will make sure that the area is up-to-date, with the key links, working links, etc. to make it a “go-to” resource.  There is a digital public library that’s being planned.  It’s at the task force stage right now, but it’s the type of thing that CoOL could be on, but may not be able to wait.  CoOL needs to be reinvigorated now.  The DistList is very active and vital now.

C. Do you know of similar resources anywhere that provide information that CoOL provides?  What resources could CoOL provide that would be useful?

  • Question about whether or not the Wiki dovetails with CoOL.  LeeAnn has been doing a lot of work on the Objects page of the Wiki.  Collaboratively created content, in a structure.  General as well as specific information.  That’s one example.  It also is not very searchable.  Eryl responded that there is not a clear line between AIC and FAIC.
  • Stephanie mentioned that CoOL is described as a platform, not a website.  The student research repository platform proposal could be weaved into CoOL on an international scale.  This does not exist anywhere right now.  Would make it a go-to research for students.  There may be other ways that CoOL could fill the need to unify, and connect, information and professionals in ways not available elsewhere.  Not possible to do that kind of thing with the Wiki.  AATA is not for student work.
  • Stephanie went on to say that, while everyone utilizes the DistList regularly, what can be done that’s new to draw people to CoOL?
  • Molly uses collections online, searchable, ID databases, like fiber ID.  Perhaps add that to CoOL.  Could be more of an information hub.
  • Carrie mentioned that CoOL occupies a unique place to redirect people to other locations.  Maybe not so much of a repository, but a pathway, for many different endpoints.  That would be very relevant and useful.  The resources may exist online, but CoOL could connect them.
  • If sites are not all collected in your bookmarks, you can’t access them easily when away from your own computer.
  • Grant programs end, and sites disappear.  Eryl imagines that CoOL could be a place for grant program website “orphans.”
  • Conservation newsletters that don’t have a home online could be added to CoOL.
  • Sarah mentioned that CoOL could be a repository for curriculum resources.
  • Perhaps include the bibliographies and learning tools from the FAIC workshops.
  • ECPN could forward links and content that they’re thinking of, to Eryl for reference.


D. Other websites, outside of conservation, to use as models?  Any that have the kind of tools and searchability that you think is a great way to manage a lot of content?  Just an example, or aspect of a site, that would be a good model.  (Such as medical sites, etc.)  Eryl will send some links of the things they’ve been looking at. ECPN will think about this and forward ideas.


E. Eryl felt the discussion was helpful.  She is pulling together materials to show potential funders, and show how CoOL is different from other sites and resources, and how it will fill a unique need.  Will require an endowment of at least $3,000,000.  As a well-funded, sustainable resource, CoOL will be a major initiative, but won’t take the focus off of other FAIC initiatives.



F. Carrie mentioned that the conversation about the student research repository will be ongoing, in light of the work planned for CoOL, and the survey results from the programs.  A proposal will be forthcoming.


G. Follow-up: Molly will post a document to Basecamp, and she will compile any responses received via email, to deliver to Eryl.


4. Annual Meeting

  • Flyer – Amy will post the revised flyer to Basecamp by the end of this week.  Ryan indicated that he can add the new liaisons to the officers page at
  • Poster – Carrie has gotten 10 responses to the questionnaire.  Content so far is very diverse, and she has posted the content received to date on Basecamp and also has the JPEG images they provided.  Have responses on treatments in public galleries, another on outreach tools, lots of different outreach tools represented.  May be best to summarize the activities we received, and put the majority of the content on the blog.  There will be a future working group call.  Amy volunteered to design the poster, as she did last year, but is open to other volunteers if anyone else would like to have the experience.  Anyone wanting to help with the design phase can email Amy.  Carrie will try to put the images on Dropbox to share them with us.  Stephanie suggested a paper handout with the links that people can carry.  Amy can send the poster and handout for production and whoever is setting up the poster can bring both items.
  • Portfolio Session – Nine people so far, representation from all programs except Columbia and Penn.  Will have some (perhaps 4) more experienced conservators there to talk about what employers are looking for in portfolios.  BPG and ASG were contacted to present portfolios, but ASG has many conflicts this year, with many students giving papers.  Still will look for ways to bring in ASG.  Emily Alliz is giving a paper in the ASG session, and Carrie would like to see if she would participate in the portfolio session.  However, the presentation for ASG is different, because they produce a thesis and presentation instead of a portfolio.  Perhaps evolve the Portfolio Session into another format next year, because we want to engage as many students from as many programs as possible.  The Portfolio Session will be in a room, but Molly will email Ruth to ensure that the room can accommodate the 14 speakers, and Ryan mentioned an alternative could be the corner of the exhibit hall.
  • Happy Hour – Anisha said that the conference hotel bar requested confirmation of the event.  Anisha to connect with Molly and Ruth, to ensure that the space will work, upon Ruth’s return from Albuquerque.
  • Outreach for ECPN – At Columbia and Penn, Avigail will pass out the flyer, which will be ready for ANAGPIC.  Since many ASG students cannot attend AIC this year, maybe the information can help them prepare for next year.
  • Angels Project – Sites have been selected, and the dates will be Tuesday, the workshop day.  Usually the Angels Project is the Saturday after the meeting, so this was done to accommodate the sites.  An email went out from AIC about the Angels Project.

5. ANAGPIC – Eliza heard back from Michele Marincola, and ECPN and CAC-ECC will be able to do a 5-minute presentation and distribute a double-sided flyer.  She will let us know the due date for the flyer.  Megan will represent the group.


6. Communications officer vacancy – No applications received yet for that position.  Amy received an email inquiry.  The deadline is a few weeks away, so people may be waiting to apply.  If you can think of anyone, refer them to Amy or Molly for more information and the position description.  Molly will post a brief announcement on the DistList as a reminder.


7. PR Toolkit project – Wiki training session with Rachael Arenstein last week.  AIC Wiki page under Work Practices, and the Toolkit page is started, with the outline up.  It is called the “Public Relations and Outreach Toolkit.”  Will work on the Discussion area, to start.  Must have author privileges to contribute, which Rachael sets up.  Working on the outline and some of the content before Annual Meeting, and a flyer for the AIC Annual Meeting conference bag.  Would be nice to have something in each area by the Annual Meeting, so it looks like it’s really starting to be populated.  Perhaps post to the blog some of the contributions we’re looking for.  It’s evolving, and will be happening over time, but have enough in there to show people how valuable this resource will be.  Anyone interested in the project should reach out to Molly to learn more and participate.



Next call: April 16, 2012 at 1pm EST


Respectfully submitted,


Amy Brost