Associate Paintings Conservator
The Conservation Center
Chicago, IL, USA
The Conservation Center in Chicago is searching for an Associate Paintings Conservator in an effort to expand the company’s Paintings Department. The ideal candidate must have the following: working knowledge of materials, techniques, and ethics of painting conservation; extremely fine manual skills; the ability to carry out treatments of minor to major complexity; sound judgment; the ability to meet scheduled deadlines; and the ability to work effectively with colleagues and clients as a positive and productive team member.
- An advanced degree in art conservation with a specialization in paintings conservation preferred, or an advanced degree with comparable training and a minimum of 3–5 years post graduate experience.
- Examination and treatment related to the comprehensive range of paintings that The Conservation Center treat on a regular basis, ranging from early European to Contemporary.
- Thorough understanding of conservation theory and practice.
- Ability to provide written condition reports, treatment recommendations, and post-treatment reports a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with colleagues
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to collaborate with and manage fellow department staff members to execute successful treatments.
- Ability to perform the physical labor as required for specific treatments.
- Ability to work in triage based situations.
- Responsible for seeing projects through from start to completion.
- Previous experience in private practice strongly preferred.
- The position involves occasional travel.
- Art handling, packing, and installation experience a plus.
This is a full-time salaried position. Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience – benefits include medical insurance, vacation pay and a 401(k) retirement program. The Conservation Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to contact Heather.B@TheConservationCenter.com. Please submit a cover letter, resume, salary history, and three professional references which illustrate qualifications.