Part-Time Paintings Conservator
The Conservation Center
Chicago, IL, USA
The Conservation Center in Chicago is searching for a Part-Time Paintings Conservator to assist the Paintings Department on a project basis as needed. The ideal candidate must have the following: working knowledge of materials, techniques, and ethics of painting conservation; extremely fine manual skills; the ability to carry out treatments of minor to major complexity; sound judgment; the ability to meet scheduled deadlines; and the ability to work effectively with colleagues and clients as a positive and productive team member.
- An advanced degree in art conservation with a specialization in paintings conservation preferred, or an advanced degree with comparable training and a minimum of 3–5 years post graduate experience.
- Examination and treatment related to the comprehensive range of paintings that The Conservation Center treat on a regular basis, ranging from early European to Contemporary.
- Thorough understanding of conservation theory and practice.
- Ability to provide written condition reports, treatment recommendations, and post-treatment reports a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with colleagues
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to collaborate with and manage fellow department staff members to execute successful treatments.
- Ability to perform the physical labor as required for specific treatments.
- Ability to work in triage based situations.
- Responsible for seeing projects through from start to completion.
- Previous experience in private practice strongly preferred.
- The position involves occasional travel.
- Art handling, packing, and installation experience a plus.
This is a part-time, contract position. Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Conservation Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to contact Heather.B@TheConservationCenter.com. Please submit a cover letter, resume, salary history, and three professional references which illustrate qualifications.